Must criminal actions against a drunk driver be completed before civil actions against the driver can be filed in Florida?

When somebody’s arrested for drunk driving, the State of Florida, that’s who prosecutes the person for drunk driving. Depending on who that person hires as a criminal defense attorney, that criminal case could take a long, long time to get sorted out. Do you have to wait to file your civil claim, a civil lawsuit against that person? No, you don’t. Your civil claim, that is your personal claim. Whatever the State of Florida is doing on the criminal side of the house, that’s up to the State of Florida, you have no control over it. You get to do your thing while the State of Florida gets to do its thing. They’re completely separate.

Leave a Reply